Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stupidity of some people....

So I was watching the news this afternoon and had a pretty big laugh. For those of you who aren't aware, let me explain. The Utah Utes football team was undefeated this last season and won the Sugar Bowl. But they were not ranked #1 in the nation, so they whined, complained, threw a fit, etc like sports teams and fans always do. So our "genious" Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff took it upon himself to bring a lawsuit against the BCS. Seriously?! (None of this has to do with the fact that I am not a Ute fan and I never will be.) My tax dollars go to that worthless, waste of time lawsuit? Okay, let me explain what I feel. Can we please put the money going towards that lawsuit into something much more productive? Why don't we donate it to cancer research? Alzheimer's research? Improving the economy? Diabetes cures? I think you get my point. It just seems exteremly ridiculous that this lawmaker thinks this actually matters. It's just football! It's just the Utes! Were they an amazing team? Yes. Do they deserve more recognition? Yes. Should it be made into a huge deal where a lot of time and money is wasted? Absolutely not. Maybe I just don't see why the Utes are so important that we should overlook real issues. But I'm very passionate about helping to improve the quality of life. I know I'll get some sarcastic comment about this from my older brother, but he has to understand that this is really money that should be donated to a more worthy cause. (I know for a fact he is very passionate about donating to cancer research.)

My roommate and I were talking the other night about whether or not the Zoloft has worked for me. She has noticed that I'm starting to laugh again and I don't snap at her as much. I'm very grateful for that, and I know she is as well. I'm honestly very grateful that the first medication I've tried has worked. But I think I've also been smart about it. I'm not drinking any alcohol at all or doing drugs, which should be common sense when you're on anti-depressants. They counteract with the anti-depressants and prevent the pills for doing what they are intended to do. I look at some people and just think, "Ok, let's be smart and have common sense." I understand that drinking is enjoyable for a huge portion of the world, and you do what makes you happy. But take the advice of your doctor and don't drink so much (if at all) when you're on anti-depressants. I know that doesn't make sense to a lot of people but I have to rant and rave about it.

Overall, things have gotten considerably better. I'm sleeping a lot better and I'm sleeping through the night, which has been a huge blessing. I'm also able to see the positives easier. I know I'll probably be on the Zoloft for a long time, if not the rest of my life. But if that's what it takes to get better, I am okay with that. I still have a very long way to go but things are slowly improving. I'm very grateful to live in a time that depression can be cured. I'm also very grateful to my friends and family for being so patient with me while I work through this hard time. It's been a very hard journey and I'm extremely blessed to have them in my life. I'm glad my roommate and I have each other to lean on and support each other. She and I have a relationship that no one would understand (even ourselves most of the time). We do bicker a bit, but when it comes down to it, we love each other and would kill for the other person.

I've also been able to improve my relationship with my Mom. She and I talk every day for at least 5 minutes and she and I are able to talk more about things that are bugging me. I'm very appreciative of what she has done and continues to do for me. She's been forced to deal with a lot in her life, but she has a determination to overcome it. I love her very much and don't think I'll ever really be able to show her that. She's just wonderful!

I'm being very random, which shows in this post. It's hard sometimes to collect my thoughts and write them all down when there's so much going on in my head. So I hope I'm being understood and it all makes sense. I know that I probably made a few people mad but it's been on my mind. Those people know I still love them! :)

3 comments:

  1. First of all, that football money is allocated by and for the college. If they dont use it for that purpose, they will not get money next year. Second, they should not spend money on collegiate sports period, for they make no sense at all. This just goes to show where our priorities are as a society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll admit that colleges spend more money on sports than is rational. However, if the sports teams are winning, that brings donors, and that brings scholarships, and that provides an education to those who might not otherwise be able to get an education.

    Secondly, the BCS is a monopoly, keeping the small colleges and universities away from some seriously gigantic money. Yes, this includes the Aggies. If the Utes don't have a shot at a national championship, the Aggies don't stand a chance. (Okay, let's be honest...the Aggies suck bad and have never, and will never, have a shot at a national football championship). This monopoly needs to be broken up. College football fans have been calling for it for many years. Even Obama came out and said the BCS needs to be changed to a playoff system, primarily because of teams like Utah and Boise State.

    Could this money be better spent elsewhere? Yeah, probably. As you mentioned, I am passionate about cancer research and prevention. However, I am also a realist. I understand that the vast majority of the country is horribly passionate about college football. Considering the money this brings in for education, I don't see this as a waste at all.

    I am fully in support of Shurtleff in taking on the BCS, and I hope he kicks their asses. All colleges, including Utah State, will only benefit if things are changed.

    That said, I'm glad the meds are working for you. This is a very good thing. Depression is hard thing to beat, and unless you've been through it, you have no idea how truly difficult it is to beat.

    I may not say this enough, but I love you and want nothing but the best for you. I hope you can continue in your road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'll admit that colleges spend more money on sports than is rational. However, if the sports teams are winning, that brings donors, and that brings scholarships, and that provides an education to those who might not otherwise be able to get an education.

    Secondly, the BCS is a monopoly, keeping the small colleges and universities away from some seriously gigantic money. Yes, this includes the Aggies. If the Utes don't have a shot at a national championship, the Aggies don't stand a chance. (Okay, let's be honest...the Aggies suck bad and have never, and will never, have a shot at a national football championship). This monopoly needs to be broken up. College football fans have been calling for it for many years. Even Obama came out and said the BCS needs to be changed to a playoff system, primarily because of teams like Utah and Boise State.

    Could this money be better spent elsewhere? Yeah, probably. As you mentioned, I am passionate about cancer research and prevention. However, I am also a realist. I understand that the vast majority of the country is horribly passionate about college football. Considering the money this brings in for education, I don't see this as a waste at all.

    I am fully in support of Shurtleff in taking on the BCS, and I hope he kicks their asses. All colleges, including Utah State, will only benefit if things are changed.

    That said, I'm glad the meds are working for you. This is a very good thing. Depression is hard thing to beat, and unless you've been through it, you have no idea how truly difficult it is to beat.

    I may not say this enough, but I love you and want nothing but the best for you. I hope you can continue in your road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete